Due in Class on Wednesday, October 25.
Answer the following questions in your own words. You will get no credit for “cut and paste” answers. Put your name and date at the top of the page, then answer the questions by number. Do not retype the question. Your single spaced answers should be 1 to 2 pages total.
- What did Galileo claim that got him in trouble with Church authorities? Why was it a problem?
- What is evolution?
- What is natural selection?
- On what charge was John Scopes brought to trial?
- What was the outcome of the trial?
Intelligent Design on Trial
- What is intelligent design?
- What is the concept of irreducible complexity?
- How did the mousetrap demonstration refute irreducible complexity?
- What was the judge’s decision in Kitzmiller v. Dover?
- What was Robert Oppenheimer’s attitude toward the atomic bomb after the end of World War II?
Justified Bombings? A Survivor’s Reply
- What did Mr. Takahashi believe were the two reasons the U.S. dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
If the Atomic Bomb Had Not Been Used
- What did Karl Compton believe would have happened if the U.S. had not dropped the bombs on Japan?
- What problem did Rachel Carson bring attention to in her book, Silent Spring?